AS9102 FIRST ARTICLE INSPECTION
Days: 1 • CEU Hrs: 0.8
Time: 7:30 AM- 4:30 PM MST
Audience: Beginner to Advanced
The aviation, space, and defense industry established the International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG). The IAQG strives to improve quality and safety while reducing cost throughout the value stream. The AS9102 First Article Inspection standard applies to the complete value stream.
The FAI process requirements are used at all levels of the supply chain by organizations around the world. This standard provides a consistent process and documentation requirements for verification of aviation, space, and defense product.
Its use should result in improved: a) quality, b) schedule, and c) cost performance by: the reduction or elimination of organization-unique requirements and wider application of good practices.
There are no required prerequisites. This course is routinely taught to quality novices and life-time professionals. All attendees are required to bring their own copy of the AS9102 standard. These will not be provided for you. We strongly advise you bring a “paper” copy.
- Understand “When” and “How” to use the AS9102 Standard.
- Help you develop the knowledge and skills required to complete the AS9102 Forms.
- ‘Improve your understanding of the International Standard.
- Learn how to interpret the requirements of the Standard and compare to your own Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Introduction to: the Course Objectives and the Purpose, Intent and Proper Application of First Article Inspection
- Why do we use the FAI process?
- When is AS9102 required? When is AS9102 not required?
- What is required by AS9100 (an AQMS)?
- What are practical tools for Process and Process change control in addition to/in lieu of FAI:
- Risk Assessment
- Production Capacity
- Process Capability
- Control Plan
- Supplier Control
- The IAQG and Standards Development
- AS9102 Terminology
- Terminology Game and Understanding the Forms lingo
- Comprehensive Review of the AS9102 Rev B Requirements and How to Complete the FAIR per Appendix B
- The Required (R), Conditionally Required (CR) and Optional (O) boxes
- Forms Review and Detailed Requirements for each Form and Box
- Understanding the Reporting and Objective Evidence Required in the FAIR (Firsts Article Inspection Report)
- In-Class evaluation of Examples of Completed Forms 1, 2 and 3
- The Planning, Activities and Documentation necessary to complete the AS9102 Forms
- Good Practices for Completing and Reviewing FAIRs
- In-Class Exercise of Evaluating Drawings and Documenting the FAI Objective Evidence
- In-Class Exercise Reviewing Completed FAIRs
- Completing the Forms from Source Documents. How to divine the necessary information and proper presentation of information in Forms: 1, 2 and 3
- Case Study: Using Drawing, Certificates of Conformance, Bill of Materials to Complete a full FAI Report
- Case Study: Missing information and sources of Objective Evidence for the FAI Report
- FAIR Checklist Items for Reviewing and Approving Organization and Supplier FAIR